grew up in a sleepy town in the lap of the Himalayas in India. Life was idyllic and sheltered. So sheltered in fact that till high school I had only heard about this curious contraption called the computer.
The hushed reverence with which the hill folk talked about computers so stirred my interest that when I went to a professional college, and got my hands on a machine that required a working knowledge of MS-DOS and a primitive version of AutoCAD, I completely devoured the machine.
My fascination with technology and its limitless potential has only intensified ever since. My interest in computers spans both the creative front-end (given my background in architecture and Web design) and the more technical back-end (due to my background in programming). It is a unique combination that has helped me stay focused on user interface and usability even while I code.
You won’t believe the one skill, however, that has made me an even bigger star in the eyes of my bosses—PowerPoint. It’s really quite incredible and amusing. Helping visualize cryptic corporate concepts through infographics has won me grateful friends through many hierarchies of my organization.
Technology isn’t the only thing that consumes me. Till a season ago, I was an ardent fan of Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns. But they shook my faith in the last couple of seasons. I’m currently searching a new team to follow. Till I find another team and another hero to worship, I’m trying my own leisurely hand at badminton. Hasn’t worked for me so far, except that I’ve found a hero of sorts in my coach.
Other than that, I dabble in sketching, photography and cartooning. And of course, I love spending time with my lovely wife who faithfully fawns on my sports icons, patiently poses for my Nikon D80, and ferociously critiques my design.
Résumé | Download PDF
Web design expert with ten years of industry experience | Web application development experience of more than five years | Proficient with graphics, multimedia, programming and technical documentation | Excellent communication skills | Outstanding academic track record
Work Experience ::.
2005 - March, 2012
Sr.Web, UI/UX Developer, Mercer Canada Ltd. and Mercer USA
- Worked with a team of developers to create a multi-client portal to manage health and benefits data—now in use by more than 200 clients, including many Fortune 500 companies. As UI architect, I took the project through multiple phases of refinement and enhancements, which were instrumental in wider acceptability of the product. Additionally I developed graphics, content and interactive Flash and ASP.Net modules for the portal. The portal generates multi-million dollar revenue for the group.
- Created interfaces and content within the parameters of company guidelines and helped develop branding for our products. I was one of the key team resources for graphics, logos and other visual elements for our products. I also created promotional and marketing materials such as multimedia flash and PowerPoint presentations.
- Provide consultation around Web Interface design and User Experience. I deal with global teams from Australia, Europe, Latin America and Asia to help them fine-tune front-ends.
- Took the initiative to incorporate UI development as a formal component of the overall product lifecycle process. All new projects now go through standardized prototyping and review. Also, most projects go through usability analysis and testing before launch. I also documented UI strategy, process and guidelines.
- Refurbished and retrofitted legacy applications for better user experience. These include a financial database application with high degree of complex user interaction. I replaced the existing interface with more intuitive icon-based navigation and a cleaner layout that dramatically increased user satisfaction.
- With my programming background, worked on different n-tiered client-server applications—healthcare tools, interactive mapping, surveys, data-administration utilities—using ASP.NET (C#), Oracle and SQL Server.
- I also develop client-side scripts, client-server ‘housekeeping’ modules for portals. For example, I created widgets that can dynamically inject localized text into the portals. I also created modules for content developers to translate text into different languages, and created highly customizable add-ons that can track the status of business modules within the portals.
- Developed and managed DotNetNuke and SharePoint Sites including custom web-parts, modules and skins.
Guest lecturer, George Brown College, Toronto
- Taught basics of HTML and design best practices in a Web-content editing course.
2001 – 2005
Web Developer /Programmer (PTE) at the IT department, Arizona State University
- Worked on interfaces and graphics for various university websites —ASU Interactive, Student Health, Registrar’s Office etc. —my key contribution was to ensure ease of use, ascertain acceptance among end users, and maintain unique identity, while complying with the university’s stringent branding and accessibility guidelines.
- Assisted and trained the University faculty and staff in web development, multimedia content creation using Adobe Flash, image and video editing using Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut Pro respectively.
- Was webmaster for the 2005 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair held in Phoenix, AZ, and the university’s annual Microcomputers in Education Conference website. Single-handedly created UI, graphics, client-side scripting, and Flash-based interactive modules for the website.
- Created database-driven ASP website for the College of Architecture; VB application for tracking appointments for the International Student Office; Survey application for the Undergraduate Initiatives Technology Service using ASP and SQL Server; and applications using Classic ASP and VB.
- Independently developed an online inventory database application for the Digital Media and Instructional Technologies Group using the Adobe’s Flex technology, PHP and mySQL database.
- Developed an online Loan/Mortgage website using ASP.Net(C#) and XML Technologies.
- Developed a web-based inventory database application for Rosson House Museum, Phoenix, using Asp.NET 2.0 and SQL Server Database.
- Designed a prototype for a 56-page, saddle-stitched, glossy startup print Magazine, ‘InDi —a magazine for the Indian Diaspora.’ Created graphics and layout using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. The prototype won a national AEJMC (Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication) award in 2005.
- Created an online social website for Indian Diaspora in Canada.
- Designed a website for a high profile Phoenix fast-food restaurant.
- Designed logos and custom graphics for various small US—and Canada-based small businesses.
- Master of Science in Technology (Information Technology, Graphics) Arizona State University, USA ( 2006) – G.P.A 4.0
- Master of Science (Building Design - Design Computing), Arizona State University, USA (2003) – G.P.A. 4.0
- Bachelor of Architecture, School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi (1996)
- Databases ~ Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, MS Access(w/VBA)
- UI/UX ~ Wireframing, Paper Sketching, Mockups, Prototyping, User Modeling, Interaction Design, Usability Analysis
- Graphics ~ Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Authoring tools ~ DreamWeaver, Visual Studio, Microsoft Expression Studio
- Others ~ Freehand drawing, cartoon drawing, photography
Awards and Achievements ::.
- Fellow of the Year and Academic Distinction Award (2006), Corporate Leaders Program, Arizona State University
- Gutenberg Award (2005) for Web Design Excellence, International Graphic Arts Education Association,
- Certificate of Commendation (2004) for contributions to ASU’s Summer Institute on College teaching
- Letter of Commendation (2003) for outstanding performance during graduate career
- Faculty Award (2002) for highest standing in the graduating class
- Regents Academic Scholarship (2000-2001) based on academic merit
2isCompany is a multifaceted network of young professionals who bring solid programming, Web design, user interface and usability, print design, desktop publishing, writing, editing and content management skills.
If you're looking to design a website that combines usability and effective content management, spruce up your logo or create a new one, impress your clients with a slick presentation, build your business with audience-appropriate marketing material or write, edit and design newsletters, we're your people.